Winchester, KY asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: My mother passed Jan 2021 in TN but I'm in KY and indigent, how do I open estate and be administrator, I can't pay filin

I am going to be in Tennessee soon and go to the courthouse, I'm her only child and need to be administrator because there is no will but the home and assets are just sitting there and I've been told people are going through her things and taking it out of the home! I truly do not have the money up front to pay the court costs for filing to open an estate so please anyone tell me where I may find assistance to legally access what is mine and left of my mother's belongings {period} they said something about swearing an oath that I can't pay but I'd have to be a TN resident to qualify for help in paying filing fees and I am not anymore so what recourse is there for me? I live in KY and legal aid here cannot help me because the assets are out of state so either way I feel I'm losing my homestead where I was raised just because I'm poor and went to live with my dad in Kentucky when my parents divorced years ago. please help me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Any free legal help would be worthless and probably would not be available. You might search the title in the County of the home and determine who her Heirs were. The Heirs At Law probably own the home, but there may have been a Deed of Trust, or Mother may not have owned it. Property Taxes may be significant. You should have already looked into this yourself. Outside of cash, gold and firearms, most personal property is not that valuable, and probably could not be recovered anyway.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.