Benton Harbor, MI asked in Employment Law for Michigan

Q: I get paid biweekly and the schedule is shared weekly. Lately they have been making schedule changes without 24 hours.

Is it legal for them to do this? Or do they need to give 96 hours advance for schedule changes. They also don’t pay one and one half for when the schedule does change without more notice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I am unaware of any law that dictates what is proper notice. I am also unaware of any law that demands an employer pay time and a half for schedule changes, so long as it doesn't result in overtime.

Your best bet would be to seek answers in your company's policies, then inquire of your supervision why policy is not being followed. Big caveat, of course, is that employment in Michigan is generally "at will", and so if you don't like what the company is doing, you might want to start looking to other companies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.