Asked in Small Claims for Indiana

Q: Can I be sued for an old debt to a person in IN? I dispute the debt amt but had made small payments to them over yrs.

Debt was for boarding livestock. Land owner stopped paying me for farm labor so I stopped paying the board bill. Debt is from over 13 yrs ago. I dispute the debt and amt due to their handling of money owed to me for work done. I had been making small automated bill-pay paymentsover the years but recently they’ve not been cashed so they were stopped. Now farm owners are threatening lawyers and court. Statute for small claims in Indiana is 10 yrs even with a contract. They refuse to provide detailed documentation of the debt owed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: If they do sue, your argument for the 10-year limit would appear to be a strong defense.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.