Maumelle, AR asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee

Q: A person posed as a city code officer and gave me 2 weeks to make “improvements on my property or action would be taken”

I was contacted not 30 minutes later by a person who was interested in buying said property and since I was in a panic I foolishly negotiated a deal for him to purchase the house.

I later discover that city code enforcement does not contact a party by phone, only by mail to keep a paper trail to verify any action taken or about to be taken.

The aforementioned individual violated Tennessee Code Title 39 Chapter 16

Offenses Against Administration of Government Part 3: False Impersonation 39-16-301, Criminal Impersonation Part (a), (1), (2),(3).

I know hindsight is not always 20/20, but I would like to know if I have any possible recourse as to some relief as to what said individual did.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Unless you can prove there is some connection between the code guy and the purchaser, you will not be able to set aside the contract for fraud. However you may want to read your contract, verbatim. Even if you breach it, the primary recourse for the buyer will be Specific Performance. Hire a competent attorney to examine the contract and advise you of the risks of being sued. Usually it is worth refusing to sell, but you need to put the other party on notice now, not at closing. If earnest money was given, return that also.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.