Cleveland, TN asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: I need to know where to start with filing for divorce. We were married in Mississippi but he is now living in Virginia

I’m living in Tennessee now

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Thank you for your question. Jurisdiction is tricky, especially when time passes and spouses move to different states.

I cannot speak to Mississippi or Virginia law, as I am not licensed in those states. However, if you have been a resident of Tennessee for more than 6 months, you may be able to file for divorce in Tennessee. It is important to note that Tennessee courts will probably not have personal jurisdiction over your spouse, so even if they are able to grant you a divorce, they will not be able to address issues such as child support, property division and alimony.

I would highly recommend consulting with an experienced divorce attorney before trying to file for divorce in any jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.