Canon City, CO asked in Divorce for Colorado

Q: Can my ex ask for spousal support in our divorce?

I am filing for divorce after being separated from my ex for over a year. He has lived with his parents and on his own this past year. He currently lives on his own. I just learned that his employer dropped him down to 1 day a week and he only makes $12 an hour. I am concerned that he will go after me for spousal support. He has been on his own for so long, he can obviously take care of himself. Should I lawyer up if he attempts spousal support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You can argue that he is capable of working full time. He could respond as to why he is not working full time. It is always helpful to have an attorney with spousal maintenance because although there are maintenance guidelines, they are discretionary with the court. An attorney can make arguments on your behalf supported by the law that the court has to follow.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.