Winchester, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: In the state of TN does a mother have to have bedrooms for the children for privacy or can they sleep in an open loft?

Living situation: Ex-wife, mother, father, boyfriend, our two kids (9 year old girl, 10 year old boy), another girl (age 7 or 8 from another guy, not boyfriend), total of 7, in a 2 bedroom log cabin. 3 kids share an open loft with no privacy or doors. Completely open to the downstairs. Unknown, unrelated boyfriend living with ex-wife in bedroom next door to loft. Please tell me something is illegal here in TN.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Thank you for your question. From the facts you provided, it doesn't seem that anything is criminally. However, the situation that you describe is odd, and a court may find that the living situation is not in the best interest of the children.

In many parenting plans (including those that I draft), there is a provision that spouses shall not share a bedroom with a person of the opposite sex before marriage when the children are present. I would carefully read your parenting plan and see if there is a similar provision.

If you think that the living situation is not in the best interest of your children, you can always file a petition to alter the parenting plan. This will require a competent attorney, as the situation will likely be contested.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.