Lake City, FL asked in Adoption and Family Law for Florida

Q: How do we get children back after grandparents adoption we were not aware of? Grandma always said it was a guardianship.

My husband's mother has a grandparents adoption his mother asked him to sign a "guardianship" for both boys so that she could care for them while he was medically incapacitated. *now at this time my husband was a single dad, the mom of both boys terminated her parental rights to not have to pay child support and left the state* after the hospital stay my husband moved in with his mom and raised the boys as his own, as their dad and with her as grandma. He made the decisions.

A year later we were dating, 6 months later we were married and my husband moved in. The time came for the boys to move in with us. We got a bedroom ready, clothes, toys*I have a10yrold* and his mom flipped. Said the boys were hers, told my husband he'd never see them again. It's been a year now, she wont listen. He hasn't seen the boys for a year. They miss him so much. She moved 400 miles away. No phone calls either

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your husband needs to obtain the services of an attorney to consider suing for custody. It's not clear whether the "guardianship" paper he signed pertained to a court adoption petition or simply was a relatively meaningless piece of paper.

3 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.