Battle Creek, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: How do I get my passport back? I was found disabled and receive SSI. I hear I no longer have to pay.

I have been paying on my arearage for the last four years. My passport was suspended. I understand I no longer have to pay my child support when receiving SSI. How do I get my passport back for if and when I ever do want to go to Canada or somewhere? My daughter is now 30 and I have grandkids. If I move out of the country I lose my SSI, so I have incentive to return. I just mean for a visit out of the USA.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Arrearages almost never go away, and until those do, your passport will likely remain suspended. Best thing you can do is contact the Friend of the Court to see what can be done.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.