Hillsboro, OR asked in Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: There is a huge homeless camp next door its private property who do I sue?

use? is a huge homeless camp next door it is private property on tualatin valley highway(worth alot). The property owner recently passed away, the city is doing nothing about it the camp keeps growing and garbage piling up. I have had things stolen from my property and the police wont do anything they say file a report online and report it to my insurance. I've been told by several real estaste agents my property value can decrease up to 15% because of this. What can I do? Is there an attorney that would take pro bono or contingency. From what I understand this is one of the biggest camps in the city and the fact it's right across from cinco and on a major hwy I'd think it would be highly publicized.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You would be looking to file a nuisance claim against the estate of the owner of the property. I would suggest you start by getting active by speaking with your representative on the town council. I would suggest approaching it from a standpoint that this is not good for those people, that the city or state need to find a dormitory for them, etc. That makes it a more general, public problem rather than just you and Citgo. I'm not hearing you spoke to the owner of Citgo. Speak with them.

I say the above because the law is good for some issues but bad for others. Your solution is likely a political soluion more than a legal solution.

Then go to the county court, find out if an estate has been opened for the deceased owner. If so, tell the estate administrator or the atorney by letter that they are allowing a nuissance to continue and you want them to stop it.

Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer
  • Salem, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This is a community problem. And, yet, a very personal problem for you because it affects your safety, comfort, and even the investment that you have in your home. At the same time, homelessness is a very sensitive subject. People have to live someplace. The solution has to begin with the city. You should be in contact with whoever is in charge of helping the homeless in the community. It is a public nuisance. Yet, there are people whose lives would be greatly altered if they would just "removed". You are in a tough position, and the options you have are to do nothing (status quo), get actively involved in trying to work with adjoining landowners to see if a viable solution can be found--shelters, etc., or you can be defensive and put up no trespassing signs on your property (and convince the landowners around to do the same) and call the police on trespassers. I know this is frustrating because you did not ask for this dilemma.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.