York, PA asked in Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: I am debating going to court for full custody of my son. Would it be worth it to hire an attorney?

My ex and I have an eight year old son together. There has never been a custody agreement in place although we had an informal agreement years ago before he began his homelessness. He is very inconsistent with seeing our son or even just calling to talk to him. He is currently still homeless but requests to see our son once in a while when it is convenient for him. Our son has son mental health issues that stem from his anger at his dad because of the hurt he causes. This was made evident when our child was placed into inpatient care and now counseling for behavioral outbursts. Dad is proving to be detrimental to his mental health and I am not sure what to do. I should also mention dad has several warrants for his arrest and often leaves the area to go back to Altoona (we live in Maytown, PA) where he is from. I am afraid dad might try to take him even though he has lived with me all his life and I am the only parent currently taking care of him. Please help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes. Your case requires a showing that the visitation has to be within narrowly defined guidelines and that is not a d.i.y. project

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.