Waterville, ME asked in Estate Planning for Maine

Q: I have no heirs and would like ideas as to how I might plan for my house and property and savings once I am gone.

I'm not interested in donating to huge charities whose CEOs earn 6-figure salaries.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: This is a pretty open-ended question, the answer to which will depend on, among other things, your priorities, values, and goals. I would suggest you start a conversation with someone who can help you achieve what you want to accomplish. That person could be a financial adviser or an attorney who practices in the estate planning area (or someone else).

If you are interested in exploring these issues further with an attorney, my partner, Cecilia Guecia, practices in this area and I am sure she would be happy to discuss your situation with you. Her telephone number is (207) 846-6111 and her email is cguecia@boppguecia.com.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Think about younger friends or neighbors that you might want to surprise with a little windfall when you pass. Someone whose kindness you would like to repay.

Also consider local charities, like your church or the local animal rescue society or the local hospice. The local charities tend to be more efficient with donation dollars, not spending gobs on lavish balls, fat salaries, first class airfare and the like.

Finally, hire a nearby attorney to help you plan your estate. Those attorneys usually have built up a database of charity names and addresses that their past clients have chosen. You could tell him or her what causes you favor and he or she can probably rattle off a few local charities that fit the bill.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.