Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: My boyfriend was arrested on Aggravated Domestic Assault against me. If I skip court will he be released from jail?

My boyfriend of 9 months was arrested and I am the alleged victim. We were fighting that night but I didn'tcall the police. My mom called them after I called her for a ride. She hates my bf. I was on the balcony fuming after our fight and he says when I stood on the side of the chair looking at the pool that he thought I was going to jump. He was worked up on adrenaline and was a little too rough getting me in the house. I did have a red mark on my neck and a cut on my lip. The red marks on my neck were gone beforw the next morning. He has never hurt me before and I don't believe he meant to that night. The police nor hospital took pictures of my injuries and the hospital discharged me stating I am fine. If I don't show up to court will he be released and the charges dropped?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It will not be that easy for the charges to be dropped. And they are very serious. He needs a competent attorney today, and you do not need to communicate with him in any way. You may need your own attorney if you are not careful. Without proof the State's Case will be dismissed. But BF may have said something or the LEO's may have alot of evidence already. Also your Mother will be a witness, and you should not talk to her about it nor post any more public statements of facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.