Queens, NY asked in Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: My ex said A child support case got entered in April of 2020. How is that possible when I don’t live in his state?

I use to live in NY. Moved with my ex into his moms house in Missouri. I got Foodstamp’s to feed my kids. Put my ex on child support in 2015. I moved to Georgia. Had to get Foodstamp’s again. They told my ex an order was entered in April of 2020 and I told them he made $100,000 a year. We were broken up and I never told anybody that? So is my ex lying to get me to sign the affidavit of credit for child support? I’m so confused?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you received any type of public assistance, the agency that paid that support could have brought an action against your ex. To know what is going on you should ask for a copy of any court orders. You should also file for child support or child support collection in the state you currently live in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.