Orlando, FL asked in Social Security for Florida

Q: How do I obtain my sons social security number?

My ex wife has his social security number but will not give it to me.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Look on your previous tax return. If you had included your child as a dependent. his Social Security number will be on the tax return.

Otherwise, you may need to obtain a replacement Social Security card by filing form SS-5 with Social Security - see https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf. You will have to have documentation to prove your identity and the identity of your son; your son's U.S. citizenship; custody/relationship of you and your son. Here is some basic information about the documentation you need to give to Social Security - see https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10023.pdf,

Peter N. Munsing agrees with this answer

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Assuming he is a minor, you can go to the social security office with him, with appropriate ID and something showing you are the mother (pediatrician record, school record) and get it. If he's an adult he needs to go get it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.