Asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: Moving pregnant out of US with no consent from the father who currently denies the kid. What if he changes his mind?


I am a US citizen with a dual US-European citizenship, living in Wisconsin.

I'm mid-term with a baby fathered by a US citizen who said he does not want the kid. If I move back to Europe, give birth and he then changes his mind, I will not be willing to return to US. His potential requests to see the kid would only be possible if he travels to Europe.

If he changes his mind:

Can he sue me for custody?

Can he accuse me of parent kidnapping?

Can I protect myself and the kid by asking him to sign papers now while he still does not want the kid?

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Until the time he is the adjudicated father after the child is born, he has no legal rights to the child unless you were married. Once the child is born, his placement and custodial rights would be under the laws of the Country in which the child is born.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.