Paris, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Can I file a police report on domestic violence without filing charges?

I took pictures a hour after it happened and the day after. Its been a week since the incident and most of its healed or just about healed but there is a evident scar under my eyebrow

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Thank you for your question. To answer it simply, if you file a police report to report a crime, it is not your decision whether to charge the case or not. That decision lies with the State. However, if you are adamant with the police that you do not want to press charges and just want to report the incident, they may allow you to do so without pursuing charges.

Please be aware that the police may decide to pursue charges without your help or consent. If you decide to proceed with reporting the incident to law enforcement, know that it is possible for charges to be brought against the alleged perpetrator even without your consent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.