Arlington Heights, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: Speeding ticket fine went from $0, to $362, just finding out from a collection agency. Not sure what happened or how?

Initially I got a ticket for speeding 21-25mph hour over. I asked the cop what the fine was and was promoted “no fine today, but you can go to traffic school to get it off your record”. I assume warning? No, he said it’s still I ticket but I don’t have to pay anything. Ticket said fine of $0. When researched online again $0. Today, 5 months later I get a envelope from a collection agency saying I owe $362 from said ticket. I relook up my records and it showed that amount. Originally months ago it said $0. I don’t have the original ticket as it was said months ago, I’ve lost it. How can I go about this or does anyone have any advice how I can contest this ticket, that was initially $0. Something doesn’t add up, and could use the help. I don’t mind paying, but not for something that was originally $0. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: First, I have never heard of a ticket having $0.00 fine. You always have to pay something. Second, it seems you did not do anything with this ticket, which includes taking Traffic Safety School. Finally, you can try and motion the ticket up into court and address it in front of the Judge. You will want to hire an attorney to assist you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.