Salt Lake City, UT asked in Divorce for Idaho

Q: I was divorced 5 years ago, now I have a judgment for garnishment on a bill my ex husband was ordered to pay.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: You may have the right to hold your ex-husband in "CONTEMPT," for refusing to abide a Court Order for him to pay bills that were assigned to him by the Court. However, the creditor was obviously NOT apart of your agreement with your ex-husband or a party to your divorce, so when the "joint bill" was not paid by ex, they went after you. I would be surprised if the court wouldn't let you hold him in contempt. Good Luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.