Pueblo, CO asked in Tax Law and Child Support for Colorado

Q: How do disabled individuals know to file for taxes if they received ssdi?

I became disabled in 2013 I have not work since 2011. I owed a duty of child support in the amount of $3755.00 it was pd off. There was an iwo sent to the local ssa office. There were 2 Garnishments that I was not informed about the iwo untill the ssa sent me a letter stating the GARNISHED amounts. $180.00 to my fsr account and $199.50 to another account that did not belong to me. Now the money I pd was not owed and I was placed on a tax offset and a windfall provision. Ssa contacted me and said I overpaid the Garnishments by $20,000.00. The child support agency did not modifiy my child support. The child support agency did not inform me of the second motion untill the case was paid off and now the money that was garnished they can not find how do I recoup my benefits? The child support agency said their were no stipulations filed. What do I do the Garnishments put me in a very serious hardship that caused me to be evicted from my home of 5 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You should speak with the caseworker. It sounds like you may not have received notice of the garnishment case so did not have the opportunity to respond. If that is what happened, and you have good cause for not responding, then you might be able to have the garnishment case reopened. If you are looking for free legal assistance, Colorado Legal Services may be able to assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.