Slidell, LA asked in Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: My mom left a will leaving everything to me before she passed my dad left a will giving everything to a grandchild

My parents house and land is in both names the grandson opened succession to get my dads ins money and property can he take my mom's half of the land from me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Based on your post---your Dad's will only passes what he owns or the portion he owns just as your Mom's will only passes what she owns or the portions she owns. In the case of property and assuming each owned an undivided 1/2 interest, then Dad's will can only give grandchild Dad's 1/2 interest. Since property is involved and since there are multiple owners, my recommendation is that you consult and eventually hire an attorney to make sure this is done correctly and that you are protected. Most likely you want to hire a probate or succession attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.