Lockport, NY asked in Family Law and Child Support for New York

Q: My mom has been claiming child support my father has sent her for the past 6 years even though I have been emancipated.

New York State. Did not receive a single dollar even though the money is supposed to be to support myself? Have lived on my own and didn’t go to college. She received 6,000 in arrears from my father is she entitled to keep all of that from me???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jodi Ann Donato
Jodi Ann Donato
  • East Islip, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Child support is paid to the parent until the child is 21. If the monies your dad is paying is arrears, then it is money that was due while you were living with her. The money is due to her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.