Phoenix, AZ asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: Ogle county, IL is saying that I have 2 traffic tickets from 2005 that I didn't pay.

I received a call from collection agency saying they are calling about 2 traffic tickets I supposedly received in 2005 in Ogle County, IL. It has been 16 years. I don't recall getting these tickets but I went to the county site and they are saying I appeared in court and plead guilty but then never paid the fines. I moved out of Illinois in 2019. I recall my license being suspended many years ago and having to pay the fees to get it reinstated but don't recall if they were due to these tickets. I haven't heard anything about them in the last 16 years. According to the county site there was a contempt hearing in Jan of 2006. Then there is no other activity until Feb 2021. Am I able to dispute these? Is there a time limit for them to try to collect payment? If they are actually my tickets why wouldn't my license have been suspended or I have heard anything from them in the last 16 years? Is there somewhere to view ticket history for the whole state of Illinois?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your last question first, yes, you can get a copy of your driving record from the Illinois Secretary of State Office. Make sure to order the record for Court Purposes. This will be the more comprehensive record. It is not uncommon for collections to start very late. You really should order your driving record and have an attorney review it with you if you are still confused.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.