Lakeland, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Do I need an attorney if father is willing to sign paternity acknowledgement and termination of rights?

Birth father has no interest in being in child's life or legally tied to child. State informed me I must cooperate with child support to maintain medical benefits for child. I am cooperating to the fullest. Paternal grandmother has informed me father is willing to sign papers. Will this affect my child's eligibility for government assistance? And will this effect adoption procedures after my Fiance and I are married?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you allow the birth father to voluntarily surrender his parental rights, IT WILL affect your government benefits. The State is not in agreement with you letting dad off the hook in order t leave the state on the hook. Once you are married, your fiancee can do a step-parent adoption and termination of the birth father's rights. This will not affect your government rights because you have replaced the father and not left the state on the hook. Definitely consult with an attorney prior to doing any termination of rights.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.