Asked in Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: There is a homeless camp next door on private property who do I file suit against

The property next door has a huge homeless camp the city won't make them move because they say it's private property. The man who owns the property lived out of state but he recently passed away its a prime piece of property on tualatin valley hwy in hillsboro. But we have been told our 2 pieces 11ac and 27ac have decreased in property value by 10's of thousands of dollars and studies have shown will stay down. We are looking for an attorney to sue the estate..(.we think) on a contingency is this something that IA available? And how much do we ask the city for in a tort claim to start?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You may have a private nuisance claim against the owner of the adjacent property. A private nuisance is a substantial and unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of land.

To prevail on a claim of private nuisance, the plaintiff must prove it is more likely than not that:

(1) The defendant knew, or had reason to know, that an objectionable condition existed on the defendant’s property;

(2) The defendant realized, or should have realized, that the objectionable condition created an unreasonable risk of substantial interference with the use and enjoyment of the plaintiff’s property;

(3) The utility of maintaining the objectionable condition and the burden of eliminating the objectionable condition were slight compared with the risk;

(4) The defendant failed to exercise reasonable care to eliminate the risk; and

(5) The objectionable condition caused actual damage to the plaintiff.

There may be other claims available, but you should consult with an attorney to determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.