Omaha, NE asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: We would like to get custody of my husbands daughter but he has a misdemeanor drug charge 3 years ago Is it possible?

It’s a misdemeanor with a taken off felony. We take her to school , homework, grooming activities. She works nights and leaves her with 13 year old son that daughter doesn’t get along with.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: A misdemeanor drug charge from 3 years ago doesn't automatically exclude someone from being successful in a custody action. It wouldn't be a fact in the person's favor, but the Court could still award custody if the overall facts support that it is in the child's best interests to have custody awarded to that parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.