Asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: Can I ask for a court appointed attorney for a child custody case in Nebraska?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You are not entitled to a court-appointed attorney to help you with a child custody case. Unless the action being brought against you involves the potential of jail time (such as to defend against a contempt action within the child custody case) or the removal of the children from your home by a State-agency (such as for allegations of abuse or neglect), then you don't have a legal right to court-appointed counsel. You would be responsible for your own attorney fees.

If you need legal help with a child custody case and can't afford an attorney, there are many services available. These include Legal Aid of Nebraska, the Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Nebraska Bar Association, among a number of others. You would need to apply to these services directly to see if you meet their financial requirements and if they can take your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.