Saint Louis, MO asked in Collections for Missouri

Q: I sent money to someone thru Cashapp. We had a falling out. He won't give me my money back. Can I sue him?

I've tried to get my money or my shoes, he won't give me anything. Cashapp can't do anything because you have to dispute the transaction no more than 60 days after it's been completed. Do I have a case here? Can I sue him in small claims court to get my money back. Him and his fiancee have threatened me everytime I try to get my money or my shoes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You “have a case” if you sue and a case number is assigned. You state that you sent him money but don’t indicate if it was a gift or a loan. Unless it was a loan, then you’ll likely lose. Hopefully you at least have emails or text messages clearly showing that it was a loan.

In Missouri, you can sue for up to $5000 in small claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.