Onida, SD asked in Small Claims for South Dakota

Q: I have a question about handling small claims lawsuit regarding a medical bill

Over 5 years ago I sent a letter of dispute to a collection agency on the amount owed and showed proof of the amount I owed. The agency did not respond for 3 months. Then I was called about paying it in which I stated they did not contact me in 30 days and that I proved what I owed and was will to pay 100.00 a month. They refused so I told them to contact my lawyer which the name and phone number was provided and stated to know longer contact me. Now 5 years later another collection agency sends a certified letter on filing a small claims which now has about 3,000 interested added to the amount

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A South Dakota attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks, and time is of the essence in your actions. One possibility is that the first agency contacted your attorney and was not able to come to an agreement, or another possibility is that they did not contact your attorney and instead transferred the collection account to a different agency. In either event, you could reach out to a collection defense attorney to investigate the matter and determine exactly what happened, and outline your best options here. You could use the Find-a-Lawyer tab above or seek out attorneys on your own. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.