Ypsilanti, MI asked in Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: What is my legal recourse for sigificant other threatning to make false allegations of domestic violence?

I have recently terminated relationship with said person after she followed through with threats and called the cops on me. I have video proof of her admitting after the fact saying she lied and made it seem like a domestic. I have no criminal record and don't want one. Do i have any legal ground to stand on? Can i sue?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Are you actually charged with a crime? If so, what you have recorded should be presented, through your attorney, to the court.

Can you sue her? Possibly. But without actual prosecution, I'm not sure what grounds you would have. If you weren't arrested, it sounds like the police gave her story the credibility it deserved. You can't, of course, stop someone from calling the police.

Best thing for you to do now that you've broken up is to stay as far from her as possible; don't even put yourself in a situation were you have to defend your actions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.