Indianapolis, IN asked in Probate for Indiana

Q: I need letters of administration regarding my father who passed away in Florida. Do I need an attorney in Florida.

There is unclaimed property for him in New Jersey and they are requesting this. I live in Indianapolis Indiana.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: I doubt that you will have to file Probate just to obtain property in NJ. A NJ lawyer may be able to record an Affidavit of Heirship, then use it to claim the property for the next of kin. At worst, you may be able to file some type of small estate proceeding either in FL, NJ, or possibly IN. This is especially true if no creditor objects to venue. A good IN lawyer should be able to arrange the successful marshaling of the assets.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.