Clementon, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Is this rent increase of 7.8% legal according to NJ Law? To whom do I address first to stop it before 5/1/21 deadline

My lease ends 6/30/21. I just received my renewal form from my complex with a $58 increase. I've been here 6 years rent has never been late, and never had complaints on me. The increase has always been 20/year until 2020 when they felt in the middle of Covid it was ok to raise it to 35/year & now it's going to 58/year. There have been no improvements done for current tenants only new tenants, and they come in paying a higher rate for those. I don't even have properly functioning A/C despite the medical exception the office has on file for my disability. Windows and doors leak ungodly amounts of air & the complex won't address, yet the rent continues to increase. If I understood the rights correctly the max that could be charged was 4% of the current rent which is currently $755, and I would believe that to be if improvements justifies such. A window has yet to be replaced in front of my door from 1 1/2 yrs ago that allows safety hazards to the residents on my floor. Please advise

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The answer depends upon whether or not the municipality in which you reside has some sort of rent stabilization or rent control ordinanc. I suggest you call legal aid in the county where you reside to discuss the issues.,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.