Homestead, PA asked in Probate and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I want to buy land of someone who is deceased through a probate lawyer.

The executrix had the house demolished and is selling the property through a probate lawyer. What do I need to do to start the process, what documentation is involved, is this handled through the court? I made a verbal offer which was accepted but that’s all so far.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You need to make an offer in writing. The estate will accept the offer in writing. It is a good idea to retain an attorney to assist you with the closing on the property. It is a good idea to get title insurance.

Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: in most counties in Pennsylvania the "offer" to purchase is made with an Agreement of Sale. if there is no realtor involved you can hire your own attorney to prepare an Agreement of Sale and present it to the Estate attorney. You may want to have a title search started before you make the offer to see if there are any liens, unpaid taxes, etc that will have to be dealt with. The Estate Attorney will most likely then file a petition to have the sale approved, and then you can proceed with the purchase.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.