New Orleans, LA asked in Divorce for Louisiana

Q: Per my divorce agreement (Connecticut 2015), I was assigned a loan debt that is in my ex-husband's name.

On his affidavit, my ex disclosed a "joint US government student loan" of approx. $58,000 payable at approx. $300 month. In division of debt, I agreed to pay this as I could afford the monthly payment and because I knew a government loan could be deferred if I was unemployed. After divorce was final, I found out that, without my knowledge or consent and in violation of automatic court orders, he had refinanced the loan a month earlier to a private variable rate loan in his own name. No longer a gov’t loan, the monthly payment was higher and kept increasing until within a year it was up to approx. $1400 a month. I agreed to the loan disclosed on affidavit, not the one he had taken out a month earlier and not disclosed. The newer loan isn’t in my name so I can't make changes or negotiate anything. He refused help. I paid the loan until the monthly payments were more than I could afford. It's went to collection in Jan 2019. Can't afford this. Anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your divorce lawyer can take the partition back to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.