Nashville, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: Can I get a prelim hearing involving dcs rescheduled?

I want to hire a lawyer..not satisfied with lawyer the court appointed a week ago..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Thank you for your question. If you have a hearing scheduled, it is up to the Judge whether or not to allow a continuance. If you want to change attorneys, you should start contacting attorneys that you may want to hire immediately.

Once you consult with and hire an attorney, the new attorney can file a motion to substitute themselves for your current appointed attorney and a motion to continue your case. If you change attorneys, the Judge may give your new attorney some time to review the file if necessary. However, if you show up for court, ask to fire a court appointed attorney and ask for more time to hire another attorney, the court may not allow that.

Granting a continuance usually lies in the discretion of the court. The decision is fact driven, so be sure to discuss the facts of your case and any other hearings that you have had in your current case with your new attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.