Murfreesboro, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: My fiancé and I had a fight. Someone called the police on us because he pushed me and was trying to protect himself.

I hit him first so I told the police and they took me to jail. I was there for 12 hours and I got charged with domestic violence. It’s my first time. We want to do peaceful contact. The problem is that I wasn’t supposed to text him call him or see him at all but i didnt understand that at the time so I called him the 1st day. Our court date is August 12. We are supposed to get married on July 5. If we file a peaceful contact right now and everything works out we are still getting married. I go to therapy for my anger issues also.

I have a couple of questions.

1. If we file for peaceful contact how long is it going to take and how long will it take for them to give us a court date?

2. What is the worst thing that can happen?

3. Will they take me to jail for contacting him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Matuszak
Ross Matuszak

A: First, you absolutely need to STOP POSTING FACTS ABOUT YOUR PENDING CRIMINAL CASE and contact an attorney. You are making admissions that can get you in very serious trouble. An attorney can help advise you on future communication issues, file a motion to alter your bond conditions and get a court date set to have said motion heard.

If a condition of your bond is that you cannot contact your fiancé, then you must abide by that until a court removes your bond conditions. No exceptions. Remember, you CANNOT contact him, or it is a violation of your bond conditions. If the DA or the court finds out that you have violated your bond conditions, they will likely issue a warrant for your arrest. Then, they can set a new (and probably much higher) bond or keep you in jail until your case is adjudicated. Please know that courts take violations of bond conditions very seriously, especially in domestic assault cases.

I recommend contacting an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you in your pending case. From now on, do not discuss the facts of your pending case with ANYONE (unless they are your attorney) and definitely do not post any information about your case online.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.