Holt, MI asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: Me and my fiancé got into an argument and I was driving around the block following him and I thought he used a fire aloo

Me and my fiancé got into an argument and I was driving around the block following him and I thought he used a fire arm towards my vehicle but he didn’t & I panicked and called police, he was arrested two days later. I been trying to figure out what to do and how to drop charges, I had been trying to find the District Attorney on the case , and I finally did and sent emails and left a voicemail, and shortly after that I had sheriffs department at my door with a subpoena for court. I don’t want to testify I don’t want to go to court against my fiancé, I’m not being forced. What do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The reality is that once police and the prosecutor get involved, you lose control over what happens. You can be compelled to testify, and if it comes down to it, the prosecutor will request a material witness warrant for you.Will they do it? Who knows. A lot depends on not only what your fiance is accused of now, but also his criminal history.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.