Medford, OR asked in Real Estate Law for Maine

Q: My husband has a mortgage on our house and his mother had to be a co borrower. She has since abandoned the house

She stopped paying her part of the mortgage and refuses to contact us or come get her belongings because “her names on the house it doesnt matter”. The property deed is ONLY in my husbands name so she has no ownership of the lands. Can we legally evict her and her belongings?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: As far as evicting her goes, bringing an eviction action (also known as a FED action) should only be necessary if she was either a tenant holding under a written lease or a tenant at will. It sounds like she voluntarily left the home and has no intention of returning.

As far as her belongings are concerned, I would follow the same procedure as outlined here: (but I would not refer to her as a tenant or your husband as the landlord).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.