Aurora, CO asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Colorado

Q: How can my parents kick out my 24 year old brother that is verbally and mentally abusing them?

My older brother was diagnosed with bipolar 1 last year. He has not wanted to take medication or go to a mental hospital and he has just moved back in since then. He is verbally and mentally abusive and beyond delusional. He speaks a lot about things that are not real and has this idea in his head that these artist are making music about him and that they want to harm him. As shirt as possible, he is going mentally incapacitated to take care of himself. He doesn't want to work. He is extremely in debt so my parents have had to start financially supporting him despite them barley able to make ends meet, meaning I have had to begin to support my younger brother (I'm 20, he's 17). The amount of stress and abuse in the house is exhausting and we aren't sure what we can do. If anyone can let us know if there is anyway for us to get my brother out and to get him help since he does not want to get help himself. (He also pays child support for 2 children)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. Your parents are responsible for his care until he is 18. If there are reasons why he should be institutionalized, then that is a possibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.