Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: What would be the appropriate steps to take and would I have any options?

I live in Tennessee. My 14 year old son had got into some trouble and had to go through court and probation. As a last option it was suggested that my son move in with me to see if I could straighten him out. He moved in with me right after Thanksgiving last year. I have a court ordered child support obligation that I pay every week. What actions do I need to take to change the support order. I do not have custody of my son. She shouldn't receive child support since he doesn't live with her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You would need to pursue a motion to modify the current court orders and satisfy the standards for doing so as well as recalculating the child support based on the guidelines. This is not an easy process. Although some counties have forms available online, you would be wise to consult local counsel to determine your best options.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.