Arlington, TX asked in Divorce for Louisiana

Q: What gets filed after the petition in an article 102 divorce?

My ex filed the petition for an article102 divorce back in June of 2020 but refuses to move forward with it, we have been apart for over a year now, what can I file to move this along?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you have living separate and apart, without reconciliation, for the statutory length of time (180 days if no children under the age of 18, or 365 days if children under age of 18), then you can get divorced in Louisiana. If you are living outside the state of Louisiana, then your separation period may be different if the suit is filed outside of Louisiana. That said, based on your post, you may or may not currently be eligible for divorce----you should consult a family law attorney in your area to discuss this further----this is especially the case if you have other incidental matters (support --spousal or child, custody, visitation, community property) which you want determined.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.