Pompano Beach, FL asked in Products Liability and Wrongful Death for Florida

Q: A large amount of employees died from cancer. They all worked at a chemical plant. What type of claim would this be?

How to go about pursuing it?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This type of claim is known as a "toxic tort", which is essentially a legal claim for harm (disease) caused by exposure to a dangerous substance, such as a chemical. The claim would potentially be against the employer, the manufacturer of the product that is causing people cancer, and potentially other parties.

In terms of pursuing it, you need to get in contact with an attorney with experience in toxic torts. This isn't a case for a regular personal injury attorney. Proving what is called "causation" in these cases is a complicated process involving building teams of experts, typically epidemiologists, medical doctors, oncologists, and industrial hygienists. The attorney will investigate to see what type of cancers are emerging among the workers, what types of chemicals are being used, and what type of experts are needed to prove that specific case. These lawsuits are subject to something called the statute of limitations, which means that you have a limited amount of time to bring the case after diagnosis, generally speaking. You should consult someone soon.

I wish you and everybody at the plant the absolute best of luck in this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.