Pineville, MO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Missouri

Q: Can I represent myself if I was served? I was left $ by a friend and his son filed for a declaratory judgement.

He claims his dad had dementia and was not in his right Mind when he changed the percentages 4 months before he passed. There are 5 beneficiaries on his Edward Jones account and I don’t have the $ to hire an attorney. I don’t know how much money it is, when I called Edward jones they couldn’t disclose the amount because they had also been served. I was added as a beneficiary 5 years ago but don’t know the amount and then before he passed apparently he raised my percentage and then lowered his sons percentage. I believe his son is only fighting the change of percentage not the initial amount so if I do nothing will I still receive the initial amount? As I said I don’t have the money to hire someone to represent me, is this something I can file myself or just take my chances and not do anything? Thanks in advance for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You are entitled to represent yourself but you'll increase your chances of a good outcome if you find a way to come up with money to hire an attorney.

Ronald J. Eisenberg

Schultz & Associates LLP

640 Cepi Drive, Suite A

Chesterfield, MO 63005

Direct: (636) 733-6647

Fax: (636) 537-2599

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.