Reston, VA asked in Estate Planning for Virginia

Q: What happens if someone refuses to give your your belongings after you ask them to do so?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In Virginia, a personal property owner can file a Warrant in Detinue in General District Court for the return of personal property or an award of its fair market value. The Warrant in Detinue is a fill-in-the-blanks form. In Circuit Court, a Complaint for Detinue would have to be drafted by the plaintiff or his or her attorney. The General District Court can hear cases seeking a judgment of up to $25,000, with exclusive jurisdiction of those matters involving claims of up to $4,500. If a matter involves more than $4,500, it may also be filed in the Circuit Court instead of the General District Court.

Ellen S Deutsch Taylor agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.