Colorado Springs, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: where can I find information about prisoner trading between states?

My son is incarcerated in Texas, but his home state is Colorado. I would like to know where to find the information I need to possibly get him traded back here to Colorado where his family is.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Littleton, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: That is strictly a matter for the Colorado Department of Correction and the Texas Department of Corrections. However that does not mean you have hit a brick wall. Call Colorado DOC's main number and asked to speak to the person in charge of inmate relocation. You may hit a brick wall at that point but, depending on the circumstances of your son's offense, you may get some information about the process of applying for a transfer to Colorado. This likely an application your son will have to complete and submit in Texas.

Not to oversimplify the natter, but in the end two things need to happen: Texas has to agree to allow your son to serve his sentence in Colorado and, just as important, Colorado DOC has to believe that if they accept the transfer , they are not simply accepting one of a Texas' problem inmates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.