Columbia, MO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: Can my boyfriends 17 year old choose to not come home for his scheduled visits per the divorce decree parenting plan?

He has been refusing to come to his dads house on the weeks that are ordered to him via the divorce decree. He has also been doing “virtual school” for the last three weeks and we have just found out he has turned in none of his school work and is now failing his junior year of highschool. Can anything be done about any of this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It'll be difficult for the court to enforce that the 17-year-old should be going between each parents. However, in an ideal world, the judge would tell the parent who had custody of the child to ensure that they return to the other parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.