Paris, AR asked in Identity Theft for Tennessee

Q: If my Ex girlfriend stole my stimulus check 2&3 and cashed both how should I press charges

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Talk to your Sheriff's Department and ask to speak to an Investigator. Have all the facts ready to disclose the Theft of Property. Remember you are the witness/victim and you will have to testify, but it is the State's Case. When the Charges come up in Court tell the DA you want Restitution. If you voluntarily gave her the Checks or access to your Account, it may not be criminal. Then you might sue her in General Sessions Court for Conversion, but it will be much harder to collect and will require an attorney at least after Judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.