Menomonee Falls, WI asked in Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: My oldest son turned 18 and is living with me full time. How do I get my child support reduced?

My youngest son is still 50% at his moms house. The oldest has been living with me 80% since he went to high school.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If your son is still in high school, you can modify the child support through the end of the school year until he graduates from high school or attains the age of 19, if still in high school. You can not retroactively change child support prior to the date of filing and serving your motion, but may be entitled to credit towards any child support arrears you may have because he resided with you for that length of time and the other parent did not require him to return to the schedule set forth in the court order.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.