New Berlin, WI asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: What can I do to obtain guardianship/custody of 2 yr. old Grandson that has been solely in my care his whole life?

My adult daughter (mother of my grandson) has repeatedly put the child in harms way and exposed him to inappropriate places, people and activities. She lived with me 11/2018 until 8/2020 the child was born 3/22/19 I have been his primary caregiver since birth (no paternity has been established) after a series of unacceptable actions I was forced to kick my daughter out 8 months ago. (Grandson lives with me) During these past 8 months she has rarely visited with her child or made regular phone contact with her child so no true support. I need to know what to do to obtain the legal right to make decisions on behalf of my Grandson.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: You need to file a Petition for Guardianship and serve the mother and the father with a copy of the Petition and accompanying pleadings. You need to allege that the mother and father have left the child in your care and state in specific terms the facts to support that they are unable to, or refuse to, provide the necessary care for the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.