Rochester, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: After 16 years being completely separated, how can my ex and I get divorced, easily and cheaply?

We have been separated financially and residency for 15-16 years. We have a 21 y/o who lives completely on his own. We just want a cheap, easy, quick divorce. What's the best way to do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Abessi
Kevin Abessi
  • Franklin Lakes, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you can agree on the terms of the divorce - e.g., equitable distribution, spousal maintenance, custody if relevant, etc. - through private negotiations with each other, then you may be able to proceed with the formal divorce process in an uncontested capacity. This can essentially amount to no more than filing the standard set of docs, without any need for steps like discovery, completing statements of net worth, and conferences with the court and between attorneys. It may even be possible to facilitate an uncontested process with only one party having an attorney, or perhaps the attorney acting as a neutral element, involved only to draft the settlement agreement and file with the court.

Ultimately, coming to an agreement privately can amount to considerable savings on attorneys fees and other costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.